Thursday, February 14, 2008

LEARNING TO TRAVEL LIGHT


I'm learning to recognize how this world loves to dump more and more on me by the endless choices it offers. Not just material things but also and maybe mostly IDEAS. Now the difficult part...learning to untangle from the effects caused by things I have already picked up and also learning to not pick up any more of the things God has not given. These things will always become a distraction and a burden regardless of how enticing they may look.

My desire to pick up unnecessary things is not as much a problem these days, Father has done a marvelous work, but unraveling the lingering mess is a little more difficult and takes a little more time and effort. The freedom I can see on the other side of this looks so sweet, but there is a scary scary beauty already here today. I don't want to miss it. I will proceed moment by moment.
My favorite Over The Rhine song comes to mind this morning

Etcetera Whatever
Don’t speak.
Words come out your eyes.
You’re wet with this nightmare.
Like thorns you hold these secrets to your breast,
your slender fingers closing into fists.
Trace your bruise
like a guilty streak.
Hold the pain.
You’re a connoisseur.
You think you have no other gift to give,
but we have so much left to live.
We don’t need a lot of money.
We’ll be sleeping on the beach,
keeping oceans within reach.
(Whatever private oceans we can conjure up for free.)
I will stumble there with you
and you’ll be laughing close with me,
trying not to make a scene
etcetera. Whatever. I guess all I really mean
is we’re gonna be alright.
Yeah, we’re gonna be alright.
You can close your eyes tonight,
‘cause we’re gonna be alright.
So come on now,
I can almost see that place
on a distant shore.
And courage is a weapon we must use
to find some life you can’t refuse.
We don’t need a lot of money.
We’ll be sleeping on the beach,
keeping oceans within reach.
(Whatever private oceans we can conjure up for free.)
I will stumble there with you
and you’ll be laughing close with me,
trying not to make a scene
etcetera. Whatever. I guess all I really mean
is we’re gonna be alright.
Yeah, we’re gonna be alright.
You can close your eyes tonight,
‘cause we’re gonna be alright.
All that I can see is your eyes.
Close your eyes.
Close your eyes.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh man...you have so much insight here but the song makes me want to live in Hawaii again where we really could have just slept on the beach! It's interesting that Hawaii was the place where I was able to finally step into God's freedom...I think it had a lot to do with stripping away the worries and concerns of the coming winter and wanting to hold on to summer.

Kent,
What would you do if you were on an airplane and the person next to you was interested in your views of the bible? What would you say?

The reason I ask is because when I am in these situations and am being pressed for answers or at least to continue the conversation, I have two conflicting thoughts. One is; it's pointless, only God can reveal Himself in a way this person can understand, and the other thought is; it's interesting to play with ideas and see what comes up just for the sake of using our mental capacity for reason. Mostly it's a mixture of the two, but I'm really interested in how you approach those who really want to know what you think about the bible. If you don't mind :)

Sue said...

Okay, Kentster, let's link hands across the ether and sing together my favourite OTR song as well:

WE DON'T NEED A LOT OF MONEY
WE'LL BE SLEEPING ON THE BEACH
KEEPING OCEANS WITHIN REACH
WHATEVER PRIVATE OCEANS WE CAN CONJURE UP FOR FREE
I WILL STUMBLE THERE WITH YOU AND YOU'LL BE
LAUGHING CLOSE WITH ME
TRYING NOT TO MAKE A SCENE
ETCETERA WHATEVER I GUESS ALL I REALLY MEAN
IS WE'RE GONNA BE ALRIGHT


Yeah baby :) i was thinking about this stuff yesterday while reading a book about improvisation in life and art. He was talking about how the creativity is stifled out of us by the system. And it really made me realise that these days, now I can *see* the Matrix at work, I don't get sucked into them sucking my creativity away anymore. It's very cool. I think i might blog about it this weekend.

Cheers to you, Kentster dude

Kent said...

Jennifer, for me two years ago everything changed. But back then I would have been able to and would have loved to attempt to explain what I would do in a situation like you mentioned. Today I can not and the thought of going back to the other way seems so foreign to me. Honestly, conversations about the bible specifically rarely ever come up.

I have no set way of having a conversation with anyone. What stands out to me is the uniqueness of every situation and every individual. These days when I lose sight of that it becomes apparent immediately. I love the opporunities and I am finding that I am surrounded by them. Conversations about the bible tend to be conversations about principles, right and wrong, morality and so on.

Everybody I run into these days that I get to spend some time with I find an interesting story to listen to. I let their story guide the conversation and I just go with what I am feeling in the moment coming from the Spirit..and that might not be anything other than listening to them.

But I will say this to you, don't ever think you engaging with another in these things is pointless. This reminds me of something from The Shack.

Sarayu says this to Mack.

"Mack, if anything matters everything matters. Every time you forgive, the universe changes; every time you reach out and touch a heart or a life, the world changes; with every kindness and service, seen or unseen, my purposes are accomplished and nothing will ever be the same again."

For me, too often conversations that revolve around the bible specifically, tend to be about trying to convince someone else what you believe verses what they believe and I find those conversations flat and tedious. If someone insists and I feel the Spirit leading me to stay with it I will, if not I'll try to direct it somewhere else.

Forgive me if that totally missed the point of your question.

Kent said...

And Sue, I'm singing with you.

These thoughts were really a continuation from yesterdays thoughts.

The tension in this song I see as the contrast of a life lived distracted by the lies of the world and the devastation and despair that follows and the life of waking up to it and living free of it. It is a choice we have to make for ourselves.

The one is always LIFE and the other is always DEATH.

Jennifer said...

Thanks Kent, that was exactly what I was asking. Your response is just what I needed to hear.