Monday, February 18, 2008

MANIPULATIVE CONSUMING IMAGES...ILLUSION OR REALITY

I ran across this documentary while looking for some video lectures by Neil Postman. A couple years ago I stumbled upon his book Amusing Ourselves To Death and found it to be a very interesting read especially in light of what I was going through at the time in regards to coming to understsand in a clearer way all the external controls we are surrounded by. Then last year I read Jacques Ellul's book The Humiliation of The Word and it helped describe in greater detail the problems created for us through the onslaught of images. If you have the time and are so moved to take the time to watch these videos or read either of these books I think you might find them very interesting and hopefully helpful.

"The orchestration of press, radio and television to create a continuous, lasting and total environment renders the influence of propaganda virtually unnoticed precisely because it creates a constant environment." Jacques Ellul


Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

4 comments:

Rich said...

Kent,

Thanks for those 6 video clips, I loved them.
By the way, when you have some free time I would like very much to chat with you re: Jacques Ellul, as I have been so blessed reading some of what he wrote.

Rich

Kent said...

Rich, I should be free Weds. night. If I catch you on line I will skype you and we can chat.

James said...

This is a long shot but I will ask.

It appears that youtube or someone has removed these videos of Postman, Consuming Images. Does anyone by chance know where to find them online (I have been searching) or recorded them?

If so please email me at... whistllar732@gmail.com

Kent said...

I have no idea where to find them. Sorry