Tuesday, March 18, 2008

ANOTHER WASHOUT HERE IN ST. LOUIS...BUT DON'T LOSE HOPE




It so interesting (funny) how impatient people are. Two days of rain and people are complaining already like it has been raining for a year or something. I told a few folks today I must have been a duck in a previous life...two days in and I am still loving it. Anyway, it is what it is. I was talking to adults today, you would think by now having gone through years of the process of weather they would realize THIS TOO SHALL PASS. But it seems to be something most people are stuck in attempting to fight it. I think it has to do with living in the illusion that we are in control or can gain control by an act of will...or in this case complaining. Who knows?
Now that is the crazy behavior weather can bring out in people, but what about the seasons in life when the Spirit has gone to work on something in us, the process of setting us free from something that keeps us from living in the reality of who we really are? Do we rest in those moments or do we complain and scramble about thinking that we can change it all and hurry up the process by an act of will or complaint? Not that any of that stuff keeps the Spirit from accomplishing and finishing the work that has been set in motion, but it does have the potential of making us look rather silly at times...(Remember me and The Jerk clip?) Who knows, maybe it is just the way it is with most of us but I want to believe not. I think as we come to know God's character and his goodness that is extended towards us for our healing and we come to know our identity in Him and that the process brings forth some really sweet fruit, we can begin to rest in the process of the on going transformation. It doesn't mean that it is easy but the pain might be lessened and the length of time required might be shortened if we stopped fighting the one that has come to save us from drowning in the storm.

"Hoping does not mean doing nothing. It is not fatalistic resignation. It means going about our assigned tasks, confident that God will provide the meaning and the conclusion. It is not compelled to work away at keeping up appearances with a bogus spirituality. It is the opposite of desperate and panicky manipulations, of scurrying and worrying. And hoping is not dreaming. It is not spinning an illusion or fantasy to protect us from our boredom or our pain. It means a confident, alert expectation that God will do what he said he will do. It is imagination put in the harness of faith. It is a willingness to let God do it in his way and in his time. It is the opposite of making plans that we demand that God put into effect, telling him both how and when to do it."-- Eugene Peterson.

4 comments:

Todd said...

Truly a fine post Kent...great observations....especially in light of my personal experiences this last year ha ha!

I love this question:

"but what about the seasons in life when the Spirit has gone to work on something in us, the process of setting us free from something that keeps us from living in the reality of who we really are? Do we rest in those moments or do we complain and scramble about thinking that we can change it all and hurry up the process by an act of will or complaint?"

to be honest, my most peaceful times this last year have come through a God induced resignation and surrender toward certain aspects of my walk with, but I admit that the temptation to kickstart my own efforts, use my wit & grit, and network my way into God's will is very real. Some days I feel like I win....some days I feel like I lose :)

Rich said...

to be honest, my most peaceful times this last year have come through a God induced resignation and surrender toward certain aspects of my walk with, but I admit that the temptation to kickstart my own efforts, use my wit & grit, and network my way into God's will is very real. Some days I feel like I win....some days I feel like I lose :)

Todd,

Loved what you shared here. The seeming contradictions of such amazing grace eh, there is NO wholeness without the continual total brokenness He brings into our lives.
Becoming wholly-holy His!

Something breath taking about this unfolding mystery of learning Him, the perfectness of His majestic strength requires what we ALL seem to have plenty of WEAKNESS :)

Todd said...

Rich,

Loved the comments thanks so much...just read this today:

That story (referring to recovery from addiction and control issues), althought a maddening mystery to control oriented moderns, repeats the most familiar plot in the history of spirituality. Those who long for freedom attain it only after experiencing Release-the release is a gift. For those who discover that in the only way possible (by experiencing it), gratitude becomes the cornerstone of spirituality, the enduring vision that undercuts the miseries of failure with the serenity that recognizes in failure itself the grounds for "Gift"-so long as that failure, that imperfection is accepted.

Thankful and learning to let go in God,

T

Sue said...

"Imagination put in the harness of faith" - I love that.

It's funny, but I find when I am slap bang in the middle of the furnace it's almost like being in the eye of the storm and there it's easy to rest. But sometimes being on the periphery, or when you can see your freedom coming ... that's when I start whingeing and whining.

Some days, Jesuslike in my acceptance and embracing of my own darkness. Some days, like a tantrum throwing 2 year old. Meh, the light will overcome the darkness eventually! :)