Wednesday, March 19, 2008

ARE YOU SICK OF THE BIBLE BEING USED AS A WEAPON?


I am.


How much more damage and suffering has been added on top of the damage and suffering that is already here? Unfortunately too much.

Several conversations that have been going on for a few days now, led me to grab Jacques Ellul's book Anarchy and Christianity from my book shelf tonight. Humans for some reason love LAW...I don't get it. I really don't get it. But at the same time I do. People are afraid. God, as described by Jesus, is a Father and he is Wholly Other. HE LOVES US LIKE NO OTHER. That's Wholly Other.

I've grown so tired of people using the bible as a proof text and letting fear be their guide when all fear was for was to get our attention. LAW LEAVES US IN A PLACE OF FEAR ...THAT IS ALL. IF PERFECT LOVE CASTS OUT ALL FEAR how the hell can fear remain a part of our relationship with the One Jesus referred to as Father? If he is an abusive schizophrenic father that vacillates between being pissed off enough to smash us at one moment and threatening us and then telling us to refer to him as Abba (Papa) the next he is not Wholly Other. There have been a lot of those fathers that exist in this broken world.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that people who read the bible text and see a god that is to be feared have not met perfect love yet. I read the text much differently today and I see a Father who loves us more than we can even fathom revealed there. I think the writers were the ones that vacillated because they had not yet been completely set free either and the most repeated statement in the text had not yet penetrated the depths of their fears. DO NOT BE AFRAID.

I know better of our Father and it changes everything.

7 comments:

Tina said...

So well put, Kent!!

I finally met that perfect Love just the other week. (I had known Him before, but not in this way). Oh, the peace, the rest! I look forward to the fear losing its grip - permanently.

non-metaphysical stephen said...

Amen and Amen!

Kent said...

Tina, it has been fun hearing of some of the steps you have been taking in your walk with Father. I pray along with you that fear continues to lose it's grip as you feel the grip of His love continue to grow in your life.

Kent said...

Stephen have you read Anarchy and Christianity?

Sue said...

Great post, dude!

Kent said...

I have a feeling a lot of folks are just caught under a spell and don't even recogonise the fact that they are doing things themselves in an attempt to keep god on their side. It's the ultimate attempt at controlling God and people can't even see it. And then that transfers over into making the bible a tool to control others and their behavior...it just doesn't produce transformed hearts and minds.

Aida said...

Great post, Kent. As someone who has been controlled by fear all of my life, I can relate. The Bible says that fear has torment and that is correct. Fear is a tormenting evil that has robbed me of much joy and peace.

Jesus, however, has come and set me free from fear. As I've come to experience and get more established in Father's love, I see fear losing its grip on me. I never want to go back. Instead, I want to go forward and more deeply into his love.

Thanks for this post. It's a great reminder that we really can "fear not."

Happy Easter, Kent, and everyone else.

Aida