Saturday, March 29, 2008

HAVE I MENTIONED BEFORE THAT I LOVE SPRING?



I think I will be taking some time from this point and on at least in the Spring and early summer posting pics of some of the treasures, like these two Japanese Maples from my garden.
I filled about 10 yard waste bags with leaves and fallen branches this afternoon and the visible difference is already amazing and there are only a few things up and blooming at this time. Everyday now will usher in amazing changes...beautiful changes and maybe even a nasty hail storm that could strip every beautiful plant and tree bare. I've seen it happen and I have no control over that. I used to fret so much about the possibility of such disasters as hail, late frosts and freezes, Japanese Beatles and others pests like rabbits, deer, voles and chipmunks but today I don't. I have seen the absurdity of such worry and fretting. Last year was a perfect example during our 3 day freeze event after everything was in full growth mode. Yards all over the community looked as if ghosts were standing guard with trees and plants covered with sheets and many other types of coverings in an attempt to protect tender new growth. 3 years ago my yard would have looked the same and I would have still awakened the next morning and the next two that followed and had to deal with plants that had been frozen so hard that no frantic attempts to protect would have stopped the destruction. The two trees pictured above didn't look like they do in these pictures and all I could do was pull off the leaves that had turned to mush and say...maybe next year? I will see in a couple weeks if this year will bring out their awesome beauty...and so I wait. I'm enjoying this process so much more these days just accepting it for what it is. I'm just a temporary caregiver/groundskeeper in this amazing natural creation that I have such an appreciation for. This is it's gig and it is much bigger than I am.

10 comments:

Kirk said...

Kent,
I am really soaking in your discussions of freedom here. Transitioning into that reality is day by day as I try to let go of my desire to control outcomes. Thanks for speaking freedom and life.

Sue said...

Look at the shape and colour of those leaves! Exquisite.

As I read your post, revelling in your freedom, I thought of how it would be if there was hail and all your trees were left bare, and the words, Grace finds beauty in everything came to mind. Of course, you wouldn't want to let these beautiful babies get hailed away but if they did, even a leafless tree is still beautiful in its way ... and next year you would appreciate it even more.

Kent said...

Thanks Kirk. How did you find your way here? I'm always interested in hearing.

Sue, a few years ago a gardening acquaintance of mine, who has the same love for collecting trees, was the recipient of such a hail storm. It destroyed 100's of plants and trees along with tremendous damage to their home. Driving through the neighborhood was spooky. There were no leaves left in any trees and cars were completely clovered with the think blanked created by all those leaves coming down. There were small mountains of hail that had been pushed out of the streets and with the warm temperatures were creating a dense fog. It felt like something from an End-of-the-World movie. One of the manifestations of grace making beauty out of ugly things was me getting the oportunity to go help him and his wife for a day cleaning up the mess. They were at work by themselves and were shocked that I stopped by to see how they were doing.

3 years later the garden is a beautiful treasure again yet still carrying the scars from the storm. Kinda reminds me of me and you and many other people we know and love who are also in the midst of this experience called life.

Kent said...

Sue, it's impossible for me to see the leaf in the first picture(and many others for that matter) without thinking FRACTAL.

Sue said...

Do you think that for them personally the garden is even more beautiful *because* of the scars? Which is probably a bit counter-intuitive but makes sense to me.

Yes, fractal. Definitely :)

Kent said...

in this case Sue with this person I would guess no.

I think one would have to see beyond aesthetics to understand something more profound or significant.

Kirk said...

Kent,
My friend Rick sent me a link to your site a while back. I really enjoy your postings.

Kent said...

ah, Rick Gibson. I like that brother.

Aida said...

Hi Kent,

I love how you said that you just accept it for what it is. That really is what freedom is all about . . . not stressing over the negative circumstances of life but accepting them for what they are and, like Sue said, maybe finding some beauty in them.

What you shared reminded me of Wayne's life as a child growing up in his vineyard when rain would destroy the crop. Wayne said he would watch his father looking at the rain destroy his crop knowing that there would be no income for that year. His father would then look at him and say, "God will provide" and He always did.

Your story and Wayne's are encouragement to me as I'm learning to give up my illusion of control and to just rest in the fact that Father has it all under control.

Beautiful garden, Kent. I'm going to enjoy experiencing spring with you as you post additional pictures.

Aida

Kent said...

Aida, the story you mention having heard from Wayne was a familiar story for myself also growing up on a farm. Except for one thing. My dad knew knothing but "hand wringing". But then again, when it's your livelihood it's a bit more difficult.

My dad never moved beyond hand wringing his entire life until he was diagnosed with lung cancer. It all comes down to our attempts to control things or our ability to let go doesn't it? My angry, frustrated, glass-is-half-empty dad embraced the certainty of his diagnosis and the approaching date with a creator he was never quite sure about with a grace I had never seen in him before. It really was a beautiful thing.