Sunday, March 23, 2008

THE LOVE THAT HEALS


I woke up around 4:00am this morning and couldn't get back to sleep so I ended up here at the computer. The house is quiet while everyone else is drifting away in their dreams. I hope they are peaceful dream. It seems these days many people are having a difficult time finding peace.


While checking up on The Shack forum I was reminded of a blog post from WindRumors so I linked over there to read it. I have it linked at the end of this post if anyone is interested in reading it...or like myself, for many of you, that would be "reading it again" but it is worth it.

It reminded me of this post I made yesterday and how I had allowed for a moment, my sense of obligation to rob me. All was not lost though. It turns out there was a purpose and a lesson being worked out in that also. In no way had hopelessness set in on me but what had happened for a time was, I began to take on something much bigger than I need to take on. It's not my job to change other people's minds about things. I'm just called to live and if that act of living helps move someone from where they are to somewhere else so they might find more freedom that is wonderful, but I don't have to attempt to make it happen. I certainly don't want to move back into a place of violating others by attempting to pull them from where they are to where I might think they need to be. It's easier than we think to end up back in a place like that instead of loving and serving them.

I ran into Truth again this morning, He had actually never left and it was all brought back into focus. Just live and love and serve and then live and love and serve some more. I can't change the world but when I live outside the confines of what might socially seem "safe" and "right" to the tribe (ways of thinking) I was born in, it might just be the thing that changes someone so that they can see past what seems "safe" and "right" to the tribe they grew up in. Who knows where the ripples of those encounters might reach?

Here is portion taken from Wllie's blog:

"I understand! It’s not about the actual elements of the story. It is really about the Truth…that is what truly matters. It is not about me meeting the Good Samaritan, it is about me meeting the Truth."

"Exactly!" And now I am dancing inside and I too understand in a way I had not before. "The kindness of God has no boundaries; not social, not religious, not political. The choices made by the Samaritan are contrary to all the hate and prejudice so much a part of the world we live in."

"In fact," now he jumps in, "the Samaritan was the only truly free man in the story. No one else is free. And Jesus calls him the ‘Good’ Samaritan because he is exhibiting the very life of the only Good One, who we know is only God."

Now the tears are flowing and I am wiping my own off my face.

"You know what this means?" His face is full of light. "It can be me. I can be the Good Samaritan. I can be the one who is free. I don’t have to do what my hurt and pain tell me. It can be me that acts with the goodness of God…me!"

FICTION-TRUTH-REALITY-AND-ALL-THAT-STUFF

1 comment:

Sue said...

Glad to see you didn't wallow around the hopelessness pool. I go swimming in there sometimes and it really annoys me.

"It's not my job to change other people's minds about things. I'm just called to live and if that act of living helps move someone from where they are to somewhere else so they might find more freedom that is wonderful, but I don't have to attempt to make it happen"

Doesn't it amaze you how quickly that happens? The motives are good, wanting to share freedom and stuff, but how quickly everything turns into obligation.

I think I need to go to bed. I'm feeling a bit fed up with everything right now :)