Friday, March 21, 2008

SIN AND THE DAMAGE CAUSED BY IT COMES WITH MANY DIFFERENT FACES


SOME MORE FROM HOPE AGAINST DARKNESS


"To attack the person out there is usually to simply continue the problem, because he or she is a victim, too. The reason people do evil, why they hate, sin, make mistakes is because somewhere they have been hurt, rejected, excluded or wounded. They just keep passing it on. And the cycle repeats and spreads. Jesus, you could say, came to break and even stop the cycle. Punitive behavior only continues the same old game and, I am afraid, most of the Church itself has yet to understand this. We still think it is about forcing conformity instead of seeking true interior transformation. True transformation always demands that we pay the price for the other's growth. We would rather punish and coerce a response. God is much more patient." Richard Rohr
I know that God is much more patient...I see that in the incarnation and the grace that broke into my world and is at work changing me. How can I not extend that to others?

3 comments:

OKDiane said...

"True transformation always demands that we pay the price for the other's growth."

Jesus surley paid for me to come to know the true nature of the Trinity. Which causes me to ask, "How can I not extend that to others?"

Aida said...

Another great post, Kent.

I love what Richard Rohr said: "True transformation always demands that we pay the price for the other's growth."

We have a tendency to not extend grace to others because we're hampered by the areas in our own lives that are still broken. Since we really don't believe that Father can be trusted to take care of us, we try to defend ourselves.

I believe as we come to know that Father loves us and can be trusted, we'll be able to extend grace to others.

Aida

Kent said...

absolutely