Saturday, April 05, 2008

ABBA'S CHILD


"But on that radiant morning in a cabin hidden deep in the Colorado Rockies, I came out of hiding. Jesus removed the shroud of perfectionist performance and now, forgiven and free, I ran home. For I knew Someone was there for me. Gripped in the depth of my soul, tears streaming down my cheeks, I internalized and finally felt all the words I have written and spoken about stubborn, unrelenting Love. That morning I understood that the words are but straw compared to the Reality. I leaped from simply being the teacher of God's love to becoming Abba's delight. I said good-bye to feeling frightened and said shalom to feeling safe. What does it mean to feel you are in a safe place? The same afternoon I wrote in my journal:


To feel safe is to stop living in my head and sink down into my heart and feel liked and accepted...not having to hide anymore and distract myself with books, TV, movies, ice cream, shallow conversation...staying in the present moment and not escaping into the past and projecting into the future, alert and attentive to the now...feeling relaxed and not nervous or jittery...no need to impress or dazzle others or draw attention to myself...Unself-conscious, a new way of being with myself, a new way of being in the world...calm, unafraid, no anxiety about what's going to happen next...loved and valued...just being together as an end in itself."
Brennan Manning from Abba's Child

5 comments:

Sue said...

Oh, yes :)

I find too that paradoxically, feeling safe enables me to look at the areas in my life where I still don't feel safe, and to sit with the mess in the meantime while Papa does his staff.

This is a wonderful passage. I know many people rave about Manning. I haven' read any of his stuff yet but perhaps now I will :) Thanks.

Mumbling Truth said...

I love this book, Kent! A few years ago Brennan re-released it with a rewrite focused on a younger generation. It is called, "Posers, Fakers, and Wannabes: Unmasking the Real You." It is a great conversation starter with college age kids.

Kent said...

I love this book also. Thanks for leaving a comment. It's always fun meeting new people. I saw on your site both links to Wayne's stuff and also Paul. Did you find Paul through Wayne or Wayne through Paul? Also, are you from the god journey forum?

Mumbling Truth said...

Hey Kent, thanks for leaving the message on my blog.

I first read Wayne about 10 years ago in "The Naked Church". But it was after reading "The Shack" this year that I connected up with his writings again.

I haven't posted on the God Journey Forum yet, but I listen weekly. It has been a great resource for me. I find it a bit easier to keep up with the Lifestream groups since it is email based.

I appreciate your blog, been reading it for several months now.

Kent said...

Thanks mumbling truth. The story in The Shack seems to be setting all kinds of things in motion. At times many difficult things to face but clearing the dance floor of unnecessary baggage is a wonderful thing to do.