Friday, April 25, 2008

IS IT ABOUT STUFF OR IS IT ABOUT PEOPLE

I woke up this morning with a question running around in my head.

Do you think most people live their lives spending more time and energy and money caring for people or acquiring things/stuff that then needs protecting and in the process causing even more harm to the people that surround them?

As I have thought about this over the past few years and began to look at the question seriously, I have been shocked at how much this had become true about myself. I find that daily, based upon the system we live in, I am faced with constant decisions I must make regarding this. I came to see that everything in our system pushes people to a place of valuing things and then protecting those things over really loving others and recognizing the value of every human being.

Many excuses are used to keep the game going strong and disguise this sad reality.

2 comments:

Grateful Girl said...

Kent, I couldn't agree with you more. We too have seen this in life and until we get back to what's really important, we'll live dull, lives. In loving people, things become less and less important. I think our grandparents understood this. They still knew the "art" of having relationships and things came second.

rob horton said...

kent,

excellent post brother. relational is where it is at in my book.

grace and peace,
rob