Friday, April 04, 2008

RELIGIOUS NUTS POLITICAL FANATICS


And love is not the easy thing
The only baggage that you can bring...
And love is not the easy thing...
The only baggage you can bring
Is all that you can't leave behind

I LOVE THE NAME OF THIS BOOK mentioned in the title of this post....and as for me, I want to live as aware as I can and live free of being either one of these and disengaging from them has been much of what my past two and a half years have been about.

When it comes to politics it has always been about carrying a big stick. It's about power. And the ugly means that most often get used and the sick dangerous defense of the ugly means to accomplish the so called "better ends" just doesn't settle with me anymore and I am shocked I lived so long defending it.

When it comes to religion, the "Truth" has been turned into a big stick. And a similar game of twisting and sugar coating nasty means to accomplish something good in the end too often is accepted and people swallow it as being the way it is suppose to be.

I've been reading this book again since it came to mind Yesterday and I am reminded of how much this was another wedge that worked it's way into my mind and helped break open the bars (lies) of the political shaping and religious shaping (prisons) that at that time still had a hold on me.

Here is a quote from the book and these things of politics and religion and much more were some of the things I found important to walk away from in order to lighten my load.

"At that promised future, the final destination, whatever you do not have with you, you no longer need. Here the listener finds one of the key themes on U2's All That You Can't Leave Behind. It is the idea of letting go of material wealth, ethereal knowledge, and social status. It is allowing God to shatter the shackles of Scientism, Technicism, and Economism and believing that he will lift me out of these blues and tell me something true. Yahweh restores feeling to a deadened body and a numb mind. He gives the Wanderer a purpose, a destination, a new home. No longer Wanderer, the new name is Sojourner. The destination is Home. The journey is long and the secret is to travel light."

It feels pretty good today having left some of these things behind.

You got to leave it behind
All that you fashion
All that you make
All that you build
All that you break
All that you measure
All that you feel
All this you can leave behind
All that you reason
All that you sense
All that you speak
All you dress-up
All that you scheme...

No comments: