Thursday, April 03, 2008

REORIENTATION....BUT NOT BEFORE DISORIENTATION




I was reminded of an important little book I read a couple years ago when I was asked today by someone if I could suggest a book that might help explain something I mention here on my blog from time to time. Orientation...Disorientation..Re-orientation. Without any thought Religious Nuts Political Fanatics by Robert Vagacs came to mind. It's a look into the music and message of U2. While reading this book I was introduced for the first time to Walter Brueggemann and the idea that disorientation is such an integral part of the path to freedom in God. I read this book at the time I had began to hear an invitation to step out of what I had always lived hanging onto and to walk out into a place where I had nothing to hang on to other than Jesus and what he was speaking in the moment. I learned that the disorientation wasn't something to be afraid of but it was refusing to accept it as a part of the process that had always kept me in the shallows trying to grasp the words and life of Jesus as concepts to work and yet on my most honest days I knew deep down inside I was very frustrated trying to make it work.

On the other side of Disorientation, Re-orientation awaits and in the place of re-orientation real hope and faith is birthed. Beliefs fail us when we accept and embrace disorientation and that is a very scary thing for the religious person who has been trained to demand and expect certainty. But what do we want? A set of beliefs or faith? Disorientation is real, and it's not a formula. It is what it is...a place to face reality, a place the game we've been playing comes to an end.

Here is something from the book:

"For the person in disorientation, reorientation is not anticipated. It arrives suddenly and surprisingly, without predictability, and is to be received as a radical gift. The only fitting response is amazement."


5 comments:

Rich said...

Wonderful He Is Kent, thanks for this!

Todd said...

Kent,

I used to see this title on a Wipf and Stock newsletter I used to get.....looking forward to checking it out....

talk soon,

Todd

Aida said...

"For the person in disorientation, reorientation is not anticipated. It arrives suddenly and surprisingly, without predictability, and is to be received as a radical gift. The only fitting response is amazement."

Kent, I can really relate to that. When I started this journey away from religion, the disorientation was terrible. I felt as though I was walking and the ground was moving under my feet. The re-orientation finally came unexpectedly and it definitely was a "radical gift."

Aida

Kent said...

Aida, it's so good to hear that this was your experience. It was exactly what happened to me also.

It was so outside of anything I had done.

Kent said...

and then began the season of making decisions so opposite of how I had lived up to that point. I began to learn to walk through this life so differently.