Tuesday, April 15, 2008

THE TRINITY OF TERRORS

It seems so much of my thinking over the past few years springs forth from the idea that much of the suffering in the world is perpetuated through the Political, Economic and Religious Systems. I had never thought of it as a trifecta until I read The Shack where the three were tied together as being systems that work together in support of each other and often the outcome is the oppression of people.

Here is how the Jesus character explains it to Mack:

"Like I said, I don't create institutions; that's an occupation for those who want to play God. So no, I'm not too big on religion," Jesus said a little sarcastically, "and not very fond of politics or economics either." Jesus' visage darkened noticeably. "And why should I be? They are the man-created trinity of terrors that ravages the earth and deceives those I care about. What mental turmoil and anxiety does any human face that is not related to one of these three?"

I love how Paul contrasted the use of the term fond of in this conversation with how it is used throughout the rest of the story. God always used that term when speaking of someone...the object of his affection, and in this conversation Jesus uses the word when making the point that he was not very fond of the things that hurt the object of his affection.

The way I see it, God is concerned about people and that which he has created, and beyond that he seems to be saying that the rest...the things we often have been caught up in creating and have been distracted by, often are the things that are creating pain and suffering in the world.

I think God sees it much differently then we do? We seem to be very proud of these systems we have created.

No comments: