Wednesday, April 02, 2008

YOU JUST NEVER KNOW....


Here is revisit to a previous post with some words from Walter Brueggemann.


“In the small, contained world where we live most of the time, we know whom to trust and fear, whom to love and whom to hate. We get it all mapped out into good guys and bad guys, and everything is scheduled and predictable.


Jesus’ teachings on loving our enemies are not a little romantic lesson in feeling good about everybody and acting silly. It is rather a rich, evangelical statement that there is more to life than our capacity to contain it all in our little moral categories. For, says Jesus, if you reduce your life to the simple practice of loving your friends and hating your enemies, of being generous only to those you like and trust, and resistant whenever there is risk, what’s the big deal? Anybody can do that.”


Check the rest of it out here: This is a very good reminder to be careful in thinking you know what God is up to.


4 comments:

Grateful Girl said...

YES YES YES! I love this...

todd said...

Kent,

I really enjoyed this excerpt....it's been a strange time for me....I'm making some acquaintances whom I rather enjoy, but that don't run in the same circles I do and may not even necessarily believe the same things I do.....but I feel lead to at least be present, transparent, kind, and to share the common language we share.....music....for whatever reason Walter's thoughts on God's hiddenness, mystery, and mercy that goes beyond our categorizing speaks to me regarding all of the aformentioned stuff....

cheers,

Todd

Manuela said...

Hi! I read the article and I really like it. I love the story of Joseph. God had plans for Joseph and his brothers weren't about to stop it... It's a great reminder of how mysteriously God works, which I've really been thinking about lately. We just can't be too sure of what it's gonna look like at all (even if we have a God-given dream). We want to think we KNOW because it feels safe, but who says it's all about safety. Besides, that kind of safety is boring and stagnates the soul-- i'm sure you agree or your blog wouldn't be called faithfully DANGEROUS.
Anyway, i want to check out a book by Walter... that's too cool you ran into him at the airport..! What a Father we have!

Kent said...

I had someone say to me today that they would never have the courage to approach someone as I did in the airport on Monday when I saw Walter. The people that I tend to be challenged and inspired by are not people I would consider unapproachable "stars", I'm not impressed at all by people who have that persona. Maybe I am mistaken but I can't think of any recognized personality that I would love to talk to that I think would turn people away.

So my advice, if you see someone you want to talk to, say Hi to them, you never know what might happen.


I still want a day with Linford and Karin from Over The Rhine and Bono to just sit and talk to them about life in this beautiful crazy messy world walking with our wildly free and gracious Father.
Sounds like fun to me.