Monday, May 26, 2008

HOW LONG LORD?

Idea #21 (Not Too Late)

Watch it here (not a great video but it's the only one I know of) this is from the show I wanted to be at last Saturday night.

Till we lay these weapons at your feet, Lord
How long, how long
Till we call all hatred obsolete, Lord
How long, how long
Till we walk like lovers thru Bethlehem
How long, how long
Till the lion lies down with the lamb, Lord
How long, how long

Too late
I know it's not too late
To wrestle with this angel
Higher and higher
Don't let go
Higher and higher
Before we know
How does it end
How does it end
We're all riding on the last train
Trying to find our way home again

Till we wash the blood from the hands of our fathers
How long
We're all sisters and brothers, sons and daughters
How long, how long
Our eyes all shine in different colors we cry, Lord
How long
Our dreams our tears are all the same by and by, Lord
How long, how long

Too late
I know it's not too late
To climb up Jacob's ladder
Higher and higher
Don't let go
Higher and higher
Before we know
How does it end
How does it end
We're all riding on the last train
Trying to find our way home again

It's not too late

I've come to believe that conflict is the fruit of the tragic course humanity has been on since man and woman chose to not believe what God had said to them. It doesn't matter whether it is the conflict within our selves on one end (as I spoke of in the last post) or conflict with others and our circumstances on the other end. All conflict falls under the the same umbrella. And it is this conflict that is the manifestation of humanity scrambling in fear to survive. All the while Jesus and the Good News of the kingdom speaks to us about a way of transitioning from the false life of scramble to the real life of rest in Him. Will we lay down our weapons?

Under the Old Covenent the focus was on a nation and the surrounding nations. The kingdom of the world still lives that way. It's just the scramble they are caught up in. It seems to me a shift took place when Jesus came and this became about individuals...not nations. It's possible for us as individuals to find rest in the midst of a world that is scrambling, regardless as to whether anyone else around us finds that rest. Father's love for us is so profound and real and he was serious about liberating us and the liberation is complete. It's now about us living in that liberation and entering his rest. And who knows, as we are joined together with others that have responded to the invitation and are finding freedom from the scramble, maybe the conflict in the surrounding world will be effected? But whether that happens or not in the wider world, the conflict within us as individuals has been overcome and harmony has replaced it. When we realize that we really are free. It does take some time though.

6 comments:

Sue said...

Great song! Did you see on the comments on YouTube someone said they drove 10 hours to see that show and it was worth every gallon of gas :)

How cool a road trip would *that* one be ;)

Kent said...

Sue, if there had been a road trip partner to go with me I would have done it.

Sue said...

Damn! If I had a spare coupla grand lying around, I woulda come with ya!

Last week, though - hmmm. Not such a good week. Maybe a road trip with me wouldn't have been such a great fun thang to do :)

I really really want to see them live at some point. And have a glass of bourbon when I do (it's Karen's voice :)

Kent said...

so last week...not such a good traveling companion, eh?

Sue said...

No, the days were evil and black and numb and one of the most uncomfortable weeks I have had since the great Wow I've Just Left My Husband! fiasco. Weird. Good, though. Walking into little-walked-in places is always a good thing when God is leading the way. I'm glad we've been there though. Think perhaps we will be there again but for now I'd like a bit of respite. How Long Lord indeed :)

How's your back?

Kent said...

The process at times can be very painful...but the freedom it is at work to accomplish in you as all good Sue.

My back is better. Last Tues. and Wed. all I could do were half days It's a full day today and I am certain I can handle it.