Tuesday, September 29, 2009

STEPPING OUT OF THE MADNESS


"Muir was tender and devoted to his wife and daughters. But his health deteriorated from the ceaseless dawn to dusk farm work and from his isolation from the mountains forests and glaciers that had always seemed to replenish him. He lost weight, he had become nerve shaken and lean as a crow he wrote his brother. Loaded with care, work, and worry."

This so resonated with me last night as I watched Ken Burns new film The National Parks. In all honesty, most of the first night's 2 hour installment resonated with something so alive to me. It brought to mind a passage of scripture that has been at the center of the process the Spirit has been walking me through...setting me free of the things that work against freedom. Things that had been distractions to me and had left me frustrated, exhausted, and pissed off and soul diminished and pacing the cage.

Mark 4:19 The seed cast in the weeds represents the ones who hear the kingdom news but are overwhelmed with worries about all the things they have to do and all the things they want to get. The stress strangles what they heard, and nothing comes of it.

Turns out I had been living in the weeds. Weeds that were well over my head and it kept me from seeing the bigger picture. Responsibility in regards to what the world defines as necessary was a big one for me. I was so responsible it was making me sick in body and spirit. Yep, being Mr Responsible was one of my big problems. It had made me incredibly obnoxious and a pain to live with. It was a pain for me to live with me.

Nature, whether it be the wild examples as seen in the film I mentioned or whether it be my garden, is one of the things that restores my soul and mind and spirit. It just brings things into perspective. It is something I have always enjoyed but for years my enjoyment of these things had even been tempered by the weight of the world and the responsibilities it had successfully piled on me. The process of walking out of the mess continues and the enjoyment of what Father has given and invited all of us into has opened up in front of me. It's wonderfully restoring.

2 comments:

WhitneyB99 said...

Your pictures are absolutely breathtaking! What kind of camera do you use? Whitney's Random Ideas

Kent said...

Whitney, most of the pictures I post are mine. The one in this post is not. I have yet to stand in the location this picture of Yosemite was taken. I hope to take this picture for myself some day.

And thank you for the compliment. I use an Olympus Evolt E-300