Sunday, November 29, 2009

LEARNING TO SEE WHAT MIGHT NOT BE VISIBLE


While standing out on the deck this morning looking down on the garden I was reminded of something I have come to see as such a travesty in regards to what seems to be the status quo of religion and religious training. Environments focused on performance ("good" and "bad") have a way of producing something fake on one hand and something that is seen as rebellion on the other. It's the nature of "fear of punishment" and "promise of reward" performance environments. It's so problematic and yet religion leaves us in a place of not being able to see it.

While looking down on my garden I couldn't help but be aware of the reality, that regardless of how it looks today, it's the same garden I have enjoyed since it began displaying it's beauty in early spring. I'm not going to turn away in repulsion and reject or punish it simply because it's not outwardly reflecting the same beauty. Actually I'm going to go down there to care for it and do what it is in need of me doing as far as collaborating along with it so it can just continue to be what it already is. A garden that is alive and growing and maturing whether it is showing any signs on this day of that being true. I'm not the author of it nor the finisher, I'm just a gardener doing my part in caring for it, all the while knowing there is a much greater force at work here, who is very creative when it comes to knowing how to create beautiful things out of things that might not be all that beautiful today to the naked eye. It takes eyes to "see" beyond what I see today in this garden....and in my children and my wife and my friends and even those set on doing me harm. And even in myself.

2 comments:

Sue said...

That's a lovely analogy, Kent.

And imagine how we would all flourish if that was the general climate. One day, one day, it will be. It already is in some, like you for example :)

People sense it, even if they can't define it. The space to just be them in all their mess. It is the most powerful force.

Kent said...

It is a most powerful force Sue.

I understand why people gravitate to and stick with the punishment reward model. It's because of fear and as if that's not a big enough hurdle to jump, it's tough to change course when most everyone else around you is using the same thing.