Monday, November 02, 2009

WOULD I RATHER HANG WITH VAN JONES OR GLENN BECK?


In reality, it's actually impossible for me to answer that question because I really don't know either one of them personally. But if going solely on the messages (and message can tell us a lot about the messenger) they are putting out in the public, my choice is clear at least as far as what resonates with my heart when it comes to the human element...lifting people up instead of tearing people down in order to maintain the status quo.

I've surprised several of my friends that have been watching Glenn Beck by saying to them that I would much rather spend a weekend having a conversation with Van Jones than with Glenn. And I am serious about that. The old game that Glenn and many on his side are pushing has nothing to do with moving humanity down the road towards justice for all...or to say it in a way that has taken on deep meaning for me...towards Honorable Relations. It actually just continues to ignore the problems that are at the center of the problematic dilemmas we face today in this nation and the world. The power class always fights change and they are almost always on the wrong side of justice, just like with Dr. King in his day. He was on the right side of justice and the powerful were not.

This morning I awakened with some words of Nelson Mandela in my head which led me to do a google search to find the quote. Instead it led me to an interview with Van Jones where he mentions Mandela in the context I was looking for...Mandela's refusal to dehumanize his oppressors during the 20 years he was incarcerated basically for being opposed to the oppressors form of governance.

As I say often, I really don't have much hope for there ever being a solution found through political means. But when it comes to government and the fact that it's not going away anytime soon...I'm really open to and hoping for a government that not only talks about equality and equal opportunity for all, but one that actually works hard to make it a reality.
You can listen to the interview HERE

9 comments:

rob horton said...

no comments yet? you the man kent.

Kent said...

a couple people responded to the link to it on Facebook. it seems that most people would rather toss stones from a distance based upon what others are saying than have a conversation about these matters.

I really would love sitting down and having a conversation with him.

rob horton said...

the couple of times that i have encountered glenn beck on the radio or on t.v. - i have found myself really getting triggered.

Kent said...

Glenn is triggering a lot these days. Both sides end up angry. The side that thinks he stands in the way of what they want and his followers who he has convinced the others are trying to take their precious from them.

rob horton said...

thankfully i can turn the station :)

zinger said...

Glenn triggers me greatly too. Boy I'd almost forgotten about him. Fortunately he isn't on any of the cable channels that we get, so there is no chance of an accidental tuning in...

Jon

Kimber said...

Great interview! This guy has some great ideas... I hope he is able to implement them. I'll have to do more research into him. Hands down, I'd rather 'hang' with Van! Much more interesting and intelligent than Beck!
http://www.vanjones.net/

zinger said...

thanks for sharing your heart, here on your blog. I love coming to your blog, it's like a virtual garden for the heart and mind. But hey I'd pay money to see a cage match between Micheal Moore and Glen Beck :). Thanks again. Jon

Kent said...

Thanks Jon