Saturday, December 05, 2009

I'M JUST NOT FRIGGIN INTERESTED...LIFE AND FREEDOM ARE TOO PRECIOUS

Call it all progress if you want. I've seen into the belly of that beast and I am not interested anymore. I will not play along, even if it makes me look like the backwards crazy one.



"I may call thirty years an instant, but in this age---which might be called the "Age of Impatience"---that span of time may as well be forever to most people. We get impatient if the car in front of us pauses imperceptibly at a red light. We watch the interminable seconds tick away on the microwave, and get irritated if the computer takes a few extra nanoseconds to accomplish a task that, even five years ago, would have seemed incomprehensible. Technology has compressed time so greatly that we have come to expect miracles to be over and done with almost before we even notice they have begun.

Gardening is an antidote to this manic pace. Gardens aren't created overnight; a good garden takes time to develope, and then can be made and remade, over the course of a lifetime and even into succeeding generations. Plants don't mature in nanoseconds. They follow the pace of the natural world, which for most of the time has been the only measure of time: the passage of days and seasons, the annual cycle of death and rebirth. The late May Sarton, whose intimate journals are full of wisdom about life in the garden, wrote: "Everything that slows us down and forces patience, everything that sets us back into the slow cycles of nature, is a help. Gardening is an instrument of grace." Tending a garden can be a continual lesson in letting go, of accepting what is offered and appreciating the moment---because a moment later, what you see could disappear."
KEN DRUSE from THE PASSION FOR GARDENING

11 comments:

todd said...

some devotional author talked about a coming time when those who spoke truthfully and with good sense would be labeled as insane...

oh well...great post,

todd

Cindi said...

I am not much of a gardener, but I can certainly relate to the examples in the first paragraph. The bit about being unwilling to wait a nanosecond for something to download...yep..that's me.

Sometimes, overwhelmed by the demands of a long to do list, I find myself impatient with those closest to me...my family..and with others...strangers... I don't even know..but who have the audacity to get in my way at the grocery store. I often have to remind myself that "love is patient...love is kind..."

Cindi.....

Kent said...

Todd, I think that devotional author knew what they were talking about in this case

I can relate to all of that Cindi.

Just curious...how did you find your way here to my blog. I'm always interested as to where the connections happen.

Cindi said...

I'm not sure exactly...but you are on one of my bloglines "play lists." I add interesting blogs as I surf the net. And I surf the net a lot. I was just browsing through some of them today, the title of the post caught my eye.

Cindi....

Kent said...

well anyway....I'm glad you stopped by and said hello.

Cindi said...

I frequent some of the websites in your sidebar..well, not the gardening ones, of course. I am thinking that is probably where I originally got the link to your blog...from one of them. Stunning picture in your header, by the way.

Cindi...

Sue said...

It was probably from me, Cindi. Cos it all revolves around me. The sooner you both understand that the sooner it will all make sense

Kent said...

Sue, I'm already there. :-)

Sue said...

LOL. I expected resistance so I could fight you about the obviousness of this reality.

But where can I go to now??? :)

Kent said...

Sue, now that is really funny. Just last week I had a client say to me...."How do you do that? I have no way of arguing with you now"

That was in response to me answering a controversial theological question she had posed to me.

I took it as the highest kind of complement and just smiled at her.

Sue said...

Of course it is the highest compliment, Kentster :)