Thursday, December 24, 2009

WHAT BEAUTIFUL YOUNG WOMEN


The "cry worthy" gift that my three daughters had told me they were making for me was...they went through my blog posts from the past two years and picked out their favorites and printed them off and laminated them and put them in a binder. And yes, I did cry. See, several years ago I had felt like taking the time to write a note to them...the things I would want to say to them if something was to unexpectedly happen to me. Well, I hadn't ever got around to doing that. A few years later I began my blog and one day about a year into having began it, as I sat writing a new post, this thought formed in my head....Isn't the stuff you have been writing on this blog exactly what you would want to say to your daughters if you weren't here to say it to them in person? At that moment I realized that was exactly what I had been doing. It had never dawned on before that moment. I had been sharing the things I had been learning, the things Father has been working into my life...the process of freedom...and now I wanted to begin making a hard copy of it so that Amie, Ellie, and Sam would always have them. And like before, I had put that project off also and hadn't got around to copying any of it yet. Turns out the three of them began doing it a few weeks ago.

The cool thing about it all is the process of writing has been a big part of my healing, my freedom, and while I have been walking through that I had been sharing my heart with these three girls that I love so much...three girls that Father has used in so many ways in my life in helping me see myself more honestly. They have been a part of the exposing of many of my blind spots and I am forever grateful to them. I think our children teach us far more than we teach them.

And beyond that, my blog was the beginning of my Internet experience, an experience that has connected me with people all over the world who had gifts I was desperately in need of. Many of you have played a huge role in all that has been going on in my life over the past few years and I thank you all for that.

All of this is an awesome "cry worthy" gift.

19 comments:

Sue said...

Awww, your girlies rock. What an awesome gift :)

zinger said...

Hey Kent, that is so cool. The best part of Christmas for me this year was seeing how excited the children were about giving gifts to others. Merry Christmas Kent.

Jon

Kent said...

Thanks Jon. Merry Christmas to you also.

Hey, I'm glad you dropped a comment here. A blog friend was looking for your email address because she was going to add you to here new blog address.

So, if you have my email address send me yours and I will pass it on to her.

zinger said...

Sorry Kent I don't have your email, if you want to post it here and delete later today, if you feel comfortable doing that....Had a blast today with the family
Jon

Sue said...

Kent, actually I realised I already *have* given Jon my new blog address, as he's been visiting already :)

Kent said...

Thanks Sue.

Never mind Jon

zinger said...

Sue, you left me wondering if it was something I said???:)
Jon

zinger said...

Sue, you left me wondering if it was something I said???:)
Jon

sparrow girl said...

Hi, I have been reading your blog for the past few months but haven't dug into a lot of the older posts yet. I love what you write about our freedom in God and also the way it relates to your dealings with your daughters!

It would be so wonderful if you could even pick out some of the best of the best posts that your daughters compiled and somehow have a link to those on your sidebar. Do you feel you might ever do that? People like me who are so interested in these words of freedom (but have come to your blog late and haven't gotten to read some of the posts from other years) could then see the best of the best at a glance. Have you ever considered that?

Kent said...

sparrow girl, thank you for your kindness and interest in the things I share here. Especially the stuff of being a parent to these daughters of mine.

Your suggestion is actually a great idea that I had never thought about. I will try to figure out a good way of doing that and linking it in the side bar.

sparrow girl said...

Kent,

That would be great! Thanks so much!

Kent said...

Until I get some together here's one for you. I just ran across it and it made me laugh all over again

http://nthegarden.blogspot.com/2008/12/she-saidi-feel-blog-post-coming-on.html

Kent said...

and another

http://nthegarden.blogspot.com/2009/02/watching-them-grow-up.html

Kent said...

and one of the most important lessons I have learned about not only living with kids...but with adults also

http://nthegarden.blogspot.com/2009/08/as-two-worlds-collide.html

sparrow girl said...

Thank you - that was a wonderful post! To stay a child again in our hearts and just live as that child with God - I feel that is what my life with Him is becoming now.

Your daughters seem like very cool people!

How about your favorite "parenting by grace and freedom and unconditional love, rather than law and threats and manipulation" post?

Thank you again!
Sparrow

Kent said...

here's one

http://nthegarden.blogspot.com/2009/06/enforcing-rulesor-all-things-having-to.html

Kent said...

and another one

http://nthegarden.blogspot.com/2009/02/learning-from-life.html

sparrow girl said...

Wow! I'm going to print these out to read. I already read one talking about God's justice as establishing/living out honorable relations, peaceful and harmonious relations - I love that! I hope I got that definition right and understood. That God's justice being satisfied at the cross means He reestablished honorable relations with mankind and is now at peace and accepting of all mankind..is that correct or what you meant? Because it makes that word justice much less scary!

Kent said...

That's exactly what I meant. You got it right.

It's a beautiful thing

God's justice is relational...not legal. The legal understanding is a human understanding. The cross and so many other things make no sense when looked at in that light. But relational....everything about Jesus who is the exact representation of the Father begins to make beautiful sense.

What if it turns out to be that all along it was God's kindness that is his discipline? Scripture doesn't say that it is punishment that leads to repentance. Just something to think about.