Wednesday, January 27, 2010

STUCK AND OFTEN NOT AWARE OF IT


"Ignorance does not result from what we don’t know! Ignorance results from what we think we do know—but don’t! Most ignorant people are, in fact, quite certain." Richard Rohr

"Although every human being is a universe within their very being...some hardly dare explore outside the bare house they grew up in. A few travel to the edge of their inner town, fewer still to other cities. But is rare to find one that has lifted from the ground to set sail for places undiscovered."

"If you keep doing things the same way, don't be surprised if you keep getting the same results."

It's a fairly safe bet to say that moving the furniture around isn't what most people are in need of. Something more radical/crazy is needed. Maybe something on the lines of suprarationality?

"There are times when you choose to believe something that would normally be considered absolutely irrational. It doesn't mean that it is actually irrational, but it surely is not rational. Perhaps there is suprarationality: reason beyond the normal definitions of fact or data-based logic; something that only makes sense if you can see a bigger picture of reality. Maybe that is where faith fits in." The Shack

One of the radical things to be done is abandoning the script. The very thing the quotes above make reference to. But the script has become so familiar, even when ya hate how ya feel and what is going on in your life, the script's familiarity has become at least predictable, which in turn has ended up feeling safe/er than what it seems one would feel without it.

"The royal consciousness leads people to despair about the power to move toward new life." Walter Brueggemann

"I want to have conversations that matter, with people who care".....Awhile back I heard a friend say that. He was quoting someone he had heard say it. It just struck a chord with me as something that can assist us in the process of getting unstuck and keeping us from getting stuck again.

8 comments:

zinger said...

Changing the script midstream, no matter what you script is, that my friend is no small feat. Those old voices and lines from that earlier script keep coming back to haunt and chill the soul. In my own life for example the script I grew up with concerning Father no longer makes any sense.

It just doesn't. Organized religion has turned Father into a creep, and that is a hard picture to remove from the consciousness. I now know what I don't believe about Father, church etc, but not sure how to rewrite the script. Except maybe that I am loved. For the most part I don't live there, but there are times when Father breaks through the fog and shows me a better way and how much he loves me.
I think that is why I keep coming back to sites like this. They are so different from the script that I grew up with, where the bible and scripture addresses were thrown around. I love the mystery of finding him through different scripts now. A song I'm listening to on the ipod now talks about kicking the darkness until it bleeds light. Kind of the stage I'm in. Sorry for the long winded response, must have put too much sugar on the cereal. Cheers Jon

Kent said...

Jon, I am very deliberate in avoiding the use of scripture and verse in what I post here and on Fb. The way most of us were shaped to read the bible is a big part of one of those scripts that need abandoned.

Maybe the only script that matters is love? I actually think it is. And love is not a principle or formula to follow. It's actually not a script at all....it's a life and it only happens as it is happening. We have to be awake and present in the moment for that and not distracted by the many scripts vying for our attention.

Wayne said...

Kent, that quote is not original with me. I was quoting some motivational speaker whose name escapes me at the moment and i couldn't find with a quick look on the web. But I don't want to take credit for someone else's quote.

Kent said...

understand Wayne

Kent said...

And I just went in and corrected it.

Sue said...

Mr Rohr is so right about ignorance. And - oh!! I don't know if there is much of a sharper sting than the one that comes when you look back on your own ignorance and see how wrong you have been about certain situations. OUCH!!!

Funny you guys should mention bible verses. I have the same sort of reaction. In fact, someone quoted some bible verses to me in an email a few days ago and it just sort of ... ahh, I dunno, perhaps it was the way he did it but I could feel the lines of communication start to shut down. It was like he was speaking AT me.

Which is probably sad because he probably wasn't doing that at all. But that's what comes from living in a culture that Bible slaps each other, I guess.

Rich said...

Kent,

I greatly enjoyed what you shared here, thank you!

I grow SO weary though of hearing about the 'script' being tied to the demographic of it being synonymous with American Christians."
This 'script' is operating in ALL flesh isn't it?

Another thought, and please know as I previously said, I really enjoyed your thoughts here, simply because of the way most of us read the bible being a big part of the 'script' is that any reason for avoiding the use of scripture?

Kind of reminds me of the sad joke of putting the strap in prison for life because of the misuse of it by parents, wrongly using it on their child!

I find it truly eye opening when one discovers the living Word and how he is so gracious in opening up the scriptures to us.

His very best to you on your trip to Africa Bro!

Kent said...

There are many scripts Rich and I never suggested that it's just the American Christians that have one.

And never have I ever said anywhere that the Bible should be avoided.

You must be reading into what I have written here something that is not there.