We are healed by grace.
Where sin abounds grace abounds.
The five rules of human life in America:
1. You should not have anything wrong or different about you.
2. If you do have something wrong or different about you, you should fix it.
3. If you can't fix it you should fake it. Pretend your okay.
4. If you can't fix it or fake it, you should just stay away because it is just too painful for everyone to be around you.
5. If you insist on still coming around you should at least have the decency to be ashamed.
With that being the human experience, it is a radical act to just show up"
It was Anne Lamott I heard say that a few years ago. Anne is right about her observation in regards to this being what life in America is like. And I actually think she is being kind. It's much worse than most are even willing to admit. Maybe it has to do with people not even recognizing something is terribly wrong? So many have been so shaped by the mistaken notion that this country we live in is God's gift to the world...it's easy for people to just believe it's the way it's suppose to be...and that it's good. If you have the courage to step outside it all to take a critical look at it, the harsh punitive behavior that is typical of the culture actually fits pretty well with the god that is presented by the dominant religion of this culture also.
We're all responsible to some degree when it comes to the very hostile/harsh/illusory environment we find ourselves in. Whether it is the politicians who can't ever be honest, or other's who desire positions of power, or if it is our children, spouses, friends, employees, employers...etc. etc. etc...we get what we have built into people. People are afraid to be real because of the punitive environment and those that do take a chance with it are branded rebellious/disrespectful along with many other things. While listening to some music earlier this week this line from a U2 song, a song about two people caught up in drug abuse, stood out to me.
In the realm of certainty
Even on our wedding day