Tuesday, May 11, 2010

CONTENTMENT


The journey of learning to accept things for what they are has been a very freeing experience for me. And I've done pretty well over the past few years of being able to remain in that space. Well, at least most of the time. But every so often I come face to face with a situation that challenges that place of peace and freedom. In those times, often my first thought is to exercise the freedom I have to choose and flee whatever it is that is threatening to invade my space and infringe upon my freedom. At first glance it might look like the thing to do, but then a deeper reality begins to set in...the freedom I am thinking of in that moment isn't really the freedom I'm in need of.


Freedom isn't what we in the West have come to think of it as being. The exercise of choosing where to shop...where to vacation...where to live...where to work...whether to work...where to play...etc. etc. etc. isn't freedom. And that exercise of choosing to come and go as we please and to set up our days as we would like them to be is a very fragile thing indeed. It's never guaranteed that we will always have the ability to make such choices. Contrast that fragile misinterpretation/misunderstanding of freedom with the real freedom...the one that no one or no circumstance has the ability to take from us and you might begin to see something radically different. It's what I am in need of right now. I am grateful to know the difference between the two. Now, all that's left for me to do is to once again relax and lean into the One who is peace and who is freedom. It's there that I can live content regardless of what circumstance I might find myself in.

No comments: