Thursday, May 27, 2010

JUST A PHOTO...AND A THOUGHT

I just thought the photo was too good not to share

I snapped this photo this morning in the garden. Something about it just speaks of mystery to me. It actually set the day for me, thinking about the mystery that is life, and how wonderful mystery is, and how most people just seem resistant to embracing it. People seem to want to believe that life is more certain than it really is. Or maybe it's just that most seem to think it their job to make it certain? In the end, all that crazy manipulation just leaves us more confused, and yet unable to admit it.

This evening, once home from work, this photo and the mystery it brings to mind, brought something else to mind. This is an excerpt from an article by Richard Rohr titled...UTTERLY HUMBLED BY MYSTERY

"When I was young, I couldn't tolerate such ambiguity. My education had trained me to have a lust for answers and explanations. Now, at age 63, it's all quite different. I no longer believe this is a quid pro quo universe — I've counseled too many prisoners, worked with too many failed marriages, faced my own dilemmas too many times and been loved gratuitously after too many failures.

Whenever I think there's a perfect pattern, further reading and study reveal an exception. Whenever I want to say "only" or "always," someone or something proves me wrong. My scientist friends have come up with things like "principles of uncertainty" and dark holes. They're willing to live inside imagined hypotheses and theories. But many religious folks insist on answers that are always true. We love closure, resolution and clarity, while thinking that we are people of "faith"! How strange that the very word "faith" has come to mean its exact opposite.

People who have really met the Holy are always humble. It's the people who don't know who usually pretend that they do. People who've had any genuine spiritual experience always know they don't know. They are utterly humbled before mystery. They are in awe before the abyss of it all, in wonder at eternity and depth, and a Love, which is incomprehensible to the mind."

No comments: