Friday, September 24, 2010

NOT AFRAID OF MYSTERY


I went out just a bit ago wandering around while listening to an interview on my iPod and the near-full-moon slipping through the branches of the trees just looked more mysterious than usual. When I got back home I googled Harvest Moon to browse through some images and this is the first one that caught my attention. I know this is a hawk in this photo but it reminded me of three nights earlier this week when my sleep was interrupted by the call of an owl outside my open window in a nearby tree. And as tonight, those three nights I laid in bed totally lost in the beauty of this mystery we all are caught up in.

Tonight the interview I was listening to added another dimension to the feeling created by the moon....the mystery of how death has been a traveling companion with me up to this time in my life and has been from the time I was born. At 42, the fear of losing someone I care more about than I ever fathomed possible, brought this reality of death being something I had no control over up in such a way in my life that turned out to be the beginning of living within another mystery. How is it possible that the act of embracing this reality about death would end up freeing me of the fear of death...my own and that of others close to me? I've shared the details of this new space dealing with the reality of death in conversations and have even written about it, but the way John describes it all and how he leaves such a beautiful mystery to eternal life (a new birthing) in place instead of trying to define it in rigid religious terms that would just muck the beautiful mystery all up was just perfect background music for me as I walked tonight under a night sky of the kind I hope always retains the ability to leave me caught up in the wonder of it all........

Here are downloads of the podcast I mentioned. Programme #4 & #5 are the ones on aging and death. What a beautiful perspective on a reality none of us can cheat.

3 comments:

joan said...

Dear Kent,
I have a website, www.luckyearthlings.com and I was putting photos with some of my calendar events, in this case a lunar event, and I was wondering if I could use your hawk against the moon photo of Sept 24th on my site. No pressure, but that is an awesome shot. Thanks for considering, joan@luckyearthlings.com

Kent said...

This is not one of my photos. I actually mention that in the text under the photo

Kent said...

Almost all of the photos I post here are mine. And when they are not mine I try to make that known