Monday, March 07, 2011

GARDENING AND SUBVERSIVE GENTLENESS


"He's always out on the edges sowing and plowing and sowing the eternal garden with such subversive gentleness......You know, it is the meek that shall inherit the earth."~~~John O'Donohue

Even during the cold of winter when the conditions are inhospitable for the human activity of tilling the soil and tending to a garden, my mind is never far from it. But as winter begins to wane and spring begins to give us hints of her nearness, I really begin to feel the presence of her approaching beauty all over me along with my collaborative part in it all longing to get going. Later today I will begin the process of pulling some trees from their winter resting spot in order to remove them from their pots to root prune them. I will then place them back into the pots with fresh rich potting soil. When growing these trees this way it's a necessary process so they can thrive and remain healthy.

There's something about gardening and hanging around beauty that just feels so connected to gentleness to me. The whole idea of a future day when formerly fear crazed waring people are no longer afraid because they have awakened to the power of love and begin to beat their swords into plowshares is a lovely idea that at least in my estimation is way over due. I feel so drawn to people whose hearts have been captured by the subversive and confounding truth that it is the meek who shall inherit the earth. Blessed are the peacemakers. My heart has certainly been captured by it and for some reason, gardening just feels like a part of that. I so long for a day when God's people are no longer afraid and instead live in a way that helps untangle people of the fear that has a grip on them and has left them acting out in dehumanizing destructive ways.

So, I'm thrilled to once again have a new spring season upon me. I just love participating in it all. And I am more convinced than ever that as humans awaken to beauty they will awaken to a new way of being in the world, and that it's the hands of the subversive gentle one directing it all.

"When we discover our childlike nature, we enter into a world of gentle possibility. Consequently, we will find ourselves more frequently at that place, at that place of ease, delight, and celebration. The false burdens fall away. We come into rhythm with ourselves. Our clay shape gradually learns to walk beautifully on this magnificent earth." ~ John O'Donohue









No comments: