Wednesday, March 30, 2011

INSPIRATION


Don't ever let anyone convince you that you're not creative. Set your imagination free. You never know what might emerge.

It was just a couple weeks I posted on here that I had had an inspired moment in the garden. I went out to do some clean up and while out there, in my imagination, I began to see some changes to make to the garden. That led me to move one tree and from the vacant space created by that move another idea emerged. With every change made I would then spend some time sitting on the swing waiting to see if anything else would form in my minds eye. This carried on for at least 4 hours and then it came to an end.

A week later while out there the idea to move a pine from another part of the garden came to mind. This pine a few years ago had actually fallen flat on the ground and the roots were still securely planted in the soil. Before I got to it to stand it back up the new growth on it had begun to adjust to it's new orientation and I could tell that it looked like it might take on a really cool windswept look if I left it alone. So I did. It's a Japanese Black Pine. Japanese Gardens all over the world are built around this architecturally rugged beautiful tree. Today it just feels like this tree has been laying for the past few years on the ground in a hidden spot in the garden away from the gaze of human eyes preparing itself for this new location. It's going to be fun watching it develop in this little Zen inspired garden.

Then this past weekend I began to imagine a rustic carved stone Japanese Lantern finishing out the balance of this space. I didn't stick with that imagining for very long. Stone Japanese Lanterns are extremely pricey. So my mind set sail trying to come up with another possibility. But nothing felt right. My mind kept returning to a lantern. Through all my years of designing garden spaces I have spent a lot of time rummaging through stacks of all kinds of stone. I don't know when it actually happened, but before long I was actually telling myself that I could find the right stone to make a lantern myself. It took me about 30 minutes today in a local nursery close to my home to settle on 4 pieces. All that's left to do now is to drill a hole through that center block to make it look like a lantern and to spread a layer of gravel in the area and the Zen Garden will be complete. It's going to be a great place to sit in silence and rest.

4 comments:

Sue said...

You're so talented. Beautiful beautiful beautiful :)

Kent said...

We all are Sue.

And thank you.

Here's a good example of the lanterns that inspired mine.

http://www.finegardenproducts.com/Shizedourou-Rustic-Stone-Lantern_p_209.html

Kel said...

coming in via Sue's blog....love the stone lantern, and the way your creative mind let it bubble away until you 'saw' a different way to achieve the look you wanted
bravo!

Kent said...

Thanks Kel