Wednesday, June 08, 2011

PERCEPTION, PERSPECTIVE AND GUT CHECKS


It's got to be one of the most difficult tasks, or at least it feels that way to me at this stage as I try to walk alongside my three daughters as they grow into being adults....to help them or anyone for that matter to understand that the way they perceive things determines what they see which in turn determines how they will be. Life is a path fraught with much danger and we add more to it than is necessary as we hold onto the kind of desires birthed out of false emotions that are birthed out of false perception and always leads us into false belonging.

I guess it's natural to want to save others from painful mistakes and the difficulties they produce. And it's easy to stand over here looking in on someone else's life and think we see it clearer which must mean we know what's going down. But I've learned enough by this point in my life to know my sight isn't always as clear from moment to moment as I want to think it is and that the disturbance created by the difficulties we create for ourselves often create the moments of greatest change and liberation/awakening in our lives. And even with that said, the desire to "save" and "protect" looms large at times.

One of the most important things we all need to see become a part of our lives is the ability to slow down enough so we can step back from our life so as to get a truer perspective of what's actually going on. And at this time in the journey with my daughters my gut tells me that that practice being a reality in my life is probably the best way I have of helping them along the path of their life...their unique path of life...and one that is still shrouded by the confusion that is so much a part of the segment of the journey they are presently in. And to remember that it is their journey and it's not for me to define it for them. I'm just along for the ride and can only offer to them the things that have become real to me...the things that are helping me see more clearly...the things that are readjusting my perceptions.

No comments: