Tuesday, September 20, 2011

IT WAS A MOMENT


I wasn't suppose to be in here.

I mentioned in a previous comment while at the Botanical Garden that I had just experienced a first. I was actually standing in it before I even realized I had gone down a pathway that is closed to the public. I was aware that I had never gone down this path but was thinking that a new pathway had been created since my last visit. I hadn't even noticed the gate (it was open) as I walked along the path paying more attention to the beautifully sculpted pines. It wasn't until I came into the area in the photo above that I realized I was standing in the garden of the Sacred Tea House Island that was built for the Emperor of Japan and is closed to the public. Is it okay for me to say that it was a special moment for me? :-) And not because of this places connection to an Emperor. I've just wanted to see this garden space for many years.

Another interesting part of this trip to the garden today was that once I arrived in the parking lot there I turned my camera on to check the settings and in red lettering the words NO MEMORY CARD appeared. So I left the camera in my truck. I was okay with that reality but am glad I had something to capture this photo with. I had my iPhone.

The girls are going to freak out when they find out. And will probably say something like...."Why do things like this happen to you all the time?" :-)

The photo below gives you an indication of how much my daughters want to get over to that island. They are acting like they are storming the front gate....I quietly entered through the back gate ;-)

4 comments:

Sue said...

Sneaky :) So is this in preparation for the Emperor of Japan coming, or is it closed to the public all the time? That's a bit rich. I'm glad you interloped your way in ... there's something delicious about doing that :p

Kent said...

"To the west, across a narrow cove and dobashi, or earthen bridge, is Teahouse Island. At the end of the bridge stands a snow viewing lantern, yukimi-doro, a gift from St. Louis's sister city of Suwa, Japan. The teahouse itself, a gift from Missouri's sister state of Nagano, Japan, is sacred in Japanese culture. This soan, or "farm hut" style teahouse, was built in Japan, reassembled here by Japanese craftsmen, and dedicated with a Shinto ceremony in 1977. The teahouse is screened by hedges to create a sense of remoteness. Except for special ceremonies, the teahouse and teahouse island are closed to the public."

Kent said...

It was a very cool kind of "draw your breath" moment when I realized where I was standing

Sue said...

Ahh, I missed that post. Cool :)

"Draw your breath" moments are gold-weighted.