Wednesday, October 26, 2011

IT'S TO PLAY A LARGER ROLE

It's not just an evening sky with some setting sun painted clouds passing through it. It's meant to play a much larger role in our lives. Most just haven't recognized it yet.




"Rilke said, in turbulent times you should endeavor to stay close to one simple thing in nature. And I think everyone, no matter where they live, should have some place in nature that they go to.

One of the beauties of landscape is the sense of stillness and silence within it. When you come into a space like that you are actually entering into the prayer of landscape. All prayer and contemplation is about trying to come into presence. And I believe that landscape never leaves it.

When you are truly present in landscape you know afterwards that something has shifted within you or some burden has fallen."
~~~John O'Donohue

5 comments:

Kel said...

wonderful words about place here
and entering into a landscape as a form of prayer
delicious
think i might revisit his book 'Eternal Echoes', the number of underlined bits in it are testatment to his way with words

Kent said...

I love Eternal Echoes

Kent said...

The sunset photo and the words above it were from a fb post I made last night. It turned into a 35 comment conversation and one particular persons questions just stuck with me throughout the day today while I was at work. The O'Donohue excerpt from his made for PBS film A Celtic Pilgrimage just kept coming to mind. So when I returned home from work I added it for this friend. I then just decided to make it a blog post also :-)

Sue said...

The prayer of landscape. That is beautiful.

Another thing I am loving about the landscape in the beautiful place in which I now live is the interconnectedness, the reminder that we are a part of something bigger, that our actions affect not only each other but the other living things we share the land with.

(It also reminds me of the harshness of life, too. Being spring here, everything flying seems to be attacking everything else flying unlike itself. A reminder of how I *don't* want to be :)

Beautiful, beautiful pics.

Kent said...

Sue, I refer to it as an ever present eternal embrace