Friday, January 18, 2013

WE NEED A FRESH THINK OF THINGS

We go about our domesticated lives acting as if this is just the way it is suppose to be. Yet people are stressed, frustrated, competitive and aggressive, exhausted and mean, and leaving a big nasty footprint as they go. I had a moment a couple years ago, as myself and Wayne were flying in a small aircraft over the wilderness landscape of Kenya Africa, on our way back to the congested city center of Nairobi. I was so startled by the contrast of the beautiful natural landscape and then the visible pockets of human population within that landscape. I was left thinking.....this can't be the dream of the Creator and how the pinnacle creature of creation would manage and care for it. That visual and those thoughts have never left me.

 Most planning these days seems to flow from the kind of thinking that happens within the urban areas of the world. Urban forces seem to have lost touch and fallen out of a natural rhythm. And with that being said...I'm convinced that is not the place where the best thinking happens.

 I love this observation by John O'Donohue:

"Indeed, the beauty of nature is often the wisest balm, for it gently relieves and releases the cage mind."




Landscapes: Volume 3 from Dustin Farrell on Vimeo.

No comments: