Saturday, February 23, 2013

TURBULENT TIMES

A friend who lives here in St Louis asked me where I was at today taking the photos of the Red Tail Hawk. It's a hilltop that somehow maintains a bit of wildness even though it is in a developed area. Other than my own garden, it's that one place in nature that I slip away to the most. During the nicer weather months you can find me there in the evening a few times a week. I love what happens there and I love getting lost in it. There is nothing man-made that can compare to what I find there. And it is the kind of place that always comes to mind when I think of these words.

 And I say....why wait for turbulent times. Go to places like this often and they have a way of reducing the occurrence of turbulent times.

"Rilke said, in turbulent times you should endeavor to stay close to one simple thing in nature. And I think everyone, no matter where they live, should have some place in nature that they go to.

One of the beauties of landscape is the sense of stillness and silence within it. When you come into a space like that you are actually entering into the prayer of landscape. All prayer and contemplation is about trying to come into presence. And I believe that landscape never leaves it.

When you are truly present in landscape you know afterwards that something has shifted within you or some burden has fallen."~~~John O'Donohue

















No comments: