Thursday, August 01, 2013

AUGUST 1 2013 THE FIRST PHOTO EXHIBIT OPENED

The photos are 4 of the 18 photos that make up the first ever The Ways Of The Garden Exhibit.




We just don't know what we think we know...or how things are going to go. I never saw it coming and never had a plan for it once it began to surface. The exercise of taking a camera and photographing my garden and all the beauty around me came out of a season of darkness and pain. All the ground under me I thought was stable and certain, began to shake, and then completely disappeared. It set in motion changes that were never on the radar screen. And as exciting as today's opening of my first photo exhibit is, it's not what I cherish most about all of this. Not even close. What I cherish most is the inner peace and rest that moved in during that season of turbulence and has remained. I guess the photography is just an outworking of that. I do believe though that it also serves as a presence that helps keep the peace and rest an abiding presence too. Everyday it plays a significant role in the ongoing healing I am still in need of. Everyday, in some way, it saves me. And surprises me.

And my hope is that it also helps others who are still being jerked around by their own turbulence to know and understand this:

"Even if at this time you are enduring through a time of bleakness...bleakness is never as bleak as it seems on the surface. At the heart of the stripped down, a rested cold stillness of winter, there is huge movement secretly at work." ~~~John O'Donohue

You will be surprised how and when it arrives. And too often it turns out to be ourselves who delay it's arrival. We have too many expectation in regards to what and when and how. It's vital to let them go. 

“For things to reveal themselves to us, we need to be ready to abandon our views about them.”
~ Thich Nhat Hanh

No comments: