Thursday, June 19, 2014

DISTURBED AND AT PEACE



I've heard it said by many artists, "You have to be a bit disturbed and wounded to create art."

That thought came to mind a few days back when a client of mine, one who hasn't known me for long said, while looking at my prints hanging on the wall, "To produce art that has such a feeling of peace and simplicity, you must live in a very peaceful environment."

I had never before connected the photography and all that began happening around it with that statement of needing to be a bit disturbed and wounded. But in that moment it became connected.

No, I don't live in a peaceful and simple environment. It's been quite the opposite. The disturbed artist way has been at work in a few different ways. The place of inner peace and simplicity I found, and the photography that speaks of it, have all been fashioned while I have been living in the midst of great turbulence.

The turbulence is a great paradox. I'm fond of what it has created and I also long for it to be gone.

Still grateful and aware of the privilege it is to be able to do this earth walk.

No comments: