Friday, December 11, 2015

FINDING THE LIGHT

Whether it is Trumpeter Swans or the other wildlife I photograph, or the many exquisite beauties of the botanical world, or landscapes, I have noticed that there is one constant to most of my images, especially my personal favorites. And it is the one thing that is said most often to me by other people who see my photos...."There is just something about how you capture light."

There has been a lot of revealing light that has visited Julie and I this year helping us both understand better some darkness that has been a traveling companion in our lives for many many years. One of the things that has dawned on me this year is that my photography is an outcome of this darkness. It has emerged out of the darkest 10 years of our lives. This has made me a seeker of light in ways I never had been before. And the light I began to find all around me sustains me and is an ever present eternal warm embrace.

And these words from Thích Nhất Hạnh are about as close to truth as anything I have ever heard before.

“For things to reveal themselves to us, we need to be ready to abandon our views about them.”








1 comment:

Linda said...

Great post; lovely photos.